Hole complete
I am losing track.........first hole of Station 46 is now done. Forth hole of the season (although I wasn't involved in the first hole).
It was a terrible pain to get it done. The drill is not happy and we think we have an ice block that limits our cut length to around 1.3 m. But we got it done.
Tomorrow, we are thinking about heating up the drill to try to dislodge the ice, but it will take most of the day and the weather on Thursday looks terrible. It is probably the right call for more efficiency drilling in the future, but it is sad to lose a day (on the plus side it might mean I won't have to shovel any snow......
The day started with a fog bank sitting over the Station. Probably condition 2 (poor visibility), but we managed to escape before the station manager called it. The morning weather was wonderful. Still and cold (good for the drill). But the wind came in later and we had a torrid time coming back to station.
On the plus side - I slept like a baby last night for the first time since I got up here.
I believe the plan is to drink terrible Grappa to celebrate the hole completion.
Comments
Post a Comment