Drill baby, Drill

 Hi everyone,

I am going back to Summit Station, so I thought it would be good to do another blog. I know I said this a lot last time, but this time I will probably be busier so it may not be a daily update. I also have a proposal to write, but we will see how it goes.

Last time I was on a science team and we were attempting to do lots of ice calibration by lowering radio pulsars into holes to measure the refractive index of the ice with varying depths. This time I will be on Drill Team 2 with the goal of drilling the holes that the radio antennas get deployed into. The drill team will just be me and Delia and I have been promised long days in the field watching the drill do it's thing.

As a reminder, this is what the experiment looks like

Each dot on the map on the left is a location where we want to put a station. We are hoping to drill 5 stations in locations 44, 45, 54, 55 and 64. Each station is made up of 3 holes that are 100 m deep that the Science Team will be putting radio antennas (Hpol and Vpol) into to form our detector (Horizontal and Vertical polarization). Each hole, assuming the drill behaves, takes about 12 hours to drill and we have 15 holes to drill. I am scheduled to be up at Summit for about 6 weeks.

For a recap of the experiment, and what I did in 2024 go here: https://summitgreenland.blogspot.com/2024/07/what-am-i-actually-doing.html


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A few new things

Summit

Weather delay